Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 63 - Aug 2, 2008

When I got in to see Kev this afternoon, I lucked out and the neurosurgeon was there. We talked for a bit and he decided not to tap Kev's head. I begged to differ and after presenting my case, he did do the deed and you will not believe how much CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) that he drained from Kevin's head:

570 CCs!!!

That is more than a quarter of a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi! Can you just imagine?! And I am happy to say that Kevin is moving around again and he was awake all afternoon and evening. Yay, Kevin!! (and for a little while Kevin's head was the smallest it had been since we arrived - but it is already growing again)

We also had a surprise visit today from Staff Sgt W, who was with Kevin when the incident occurred. He is a very nice gentleman and when he went in to visit Kevin, Kev just stared at him the whole time he talked. I can't say for sure what Kevin understood and what he didn't, but he appeared to know. And Staff Sgt W had Kevin blink a couple of times to answer a question and Kevin did it. Of course, this could all be coincidence, but I'm gonna run with it (like always, lol). I will say that I stepped away from the bed while Sgt W was in the room to give them some privacy, so I have no idea what was said, but hopefully Kevin did understand.

I went today and bought a crock pot and an electric skillet. I am sooo tired of eating out. I have been holding off purchasing things like this because I knew we were going to Tampa soon and we can't take them with us, but now it will be weeks and if I have to eat at Olive Garden one more time - I am gonna scream! So now I can at least cook some things and can't wait to have a hot dog in sauerkraut. Or scrambled eggs or one of those skillet sensations...

Man...I am so hungry!

14 comments:

Holee said...

It seems like when the fluid is drained Kevin makes progress. If only they can solve this he may become more alert each day.

Someone told me that Olive Garden was your favorite place to eat. Too much of a good thing isn't so good anymore! Enjoy that hog dog and scrambled eggs!

Anonymous said...

Im glad SSG W was able to visit you today. If you can tell him we send our love his way. Im glad Kev was more responsive today. Im glad it was a good day...Still thinking of you guys...
Sgt G & Wife

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I am glad that Kevin was more alert and awake today. I hope he continues to get better and better.

No wonder you are tired of eating out. You need a sense of "normal," and I think cooking will do that for you (or at least eating more comfort/home cooked food).

As always, reading the blog and thinking of the three of you every day.
Megan Slaugenhoup

i. said...

I'm always glad to hear when Kevin has a good day. I'm also glad to continue hearing how the medical staff respects your opinion when it comes to Kevin's needs. Mama does know best!

Hang in there!

-ida

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Kevin is having a better day. I also am glad that you speak up to the doctors and give them your input, and that,most importantly, they listen to your opinions. I remember when Sarah and Susan were first born and in the neonatal ICU(and later when they were home on all kinds of equipment and we had nurses at the house)that I more than once sensed a problem before the professionals did, or had an idea for a treatment that turned out to work. I truly 100% believe that we,as mothers,can sometimes know and feel and understand things that the doctors,as good as they are, just can't see. So, you keep up the good work. Let the doctors know what you are feeling. In some ways, your mother's intuition, instinct, and love are as vital to Kevin's well being as the doctors' knowledge. I know that you already know all of these things, but I just like to reassure you in any way that I can. Love ya, Leslie.

Anonymous said...

When Kevin has a good day we pray hard and when he has a bad day we pray even harder. God has His hand on Kevin and He will take good care of him. Rest in the knowledge that God is the great healer. Take good care cause we care about all three of you.
M

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read the last paragraph...good for you! ENJOY your home cooked meals! I know if I eat out too often, I get tired of it...I can't imagine weeks and weeeks of it. I love reading this blog and all the progress Kevin is making. Yay, God!

The Rock said...

Dear Leslie
I am so glad that the Doctor took that fluid out of his head ! Wow, that was a lot.
It is good to hear that SSG W came by to see Kevin.
If I would live near by , I would cook you a meal every day !
God bless you!
Love
Petra
Soldiers Angel
from Louisiana

Vicki Chrisman said...

Mama knows best! I'm glad they listened to you! I'm sure you were just thrilled to have him so much more alert today. That's great news les!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear Kevin is doing better and how great that his Sgt was able to visit. Hope you enjoy your "homecooked" meals. We are praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I use to think that you were such a quiet little thing. You go honey. You know what is best for you boy. Mom's always do. You are hungry for one of my favorit foods hot dog and krut. God is telling you not to leave Kevins side by letting you tell the Doc. what you expect and I am so proud of you. Take care and love you bunches.Pam

kim murphy said...

So happy to hear that Kevin has had a good day!!!! Keep talking to those doctors and make them hear what you say as you are closest to your son and can sense things with your mothers intuition, especially since you are also there spending more time with him than they are! I hope that you and Brianna are both doing well,and enjoying your home cooking. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers every nite and day! hugs to you all, kim

Jodi said...

Hi Leslie!
Wow, sounds like a great day! So glad to hear all the good news! Glad you can finally cook some of your own food. Savor and enjoy!
Here is to another great day and many more to come!!!!
I love you all!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Kevin is getting back to where he was. I was very concerned! Good for you for sticking to your guns and I pray they find a way soon to keep the CSF from collecting like that.

Enjoy your skillet! I love the skillet dinners from the freezer section. :)