Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 86 - Aug 25, 2008

No word on Tampa yet. Grrrr. I guess they needed some more info so it was overnighted today and I am sure it will take a couple of days for them to peruse it so I don't expect to hear before the end of the week. I told my caseworker today that I am done waiting and that we need to start working with him on his rehab here then. This is actually quite ridiculous. It's truly been 5 weeks since we thought we could go, but then they needed the PEG put in and then the shunt and now what? Geez - this is so frustrating.

So I asked her to call Tampa and tell me where to start with rehab. I am not trained for this job and I don't want to start teaching him a bad habit without realizing it, kwim? It's so easy to do, but I am not waiting any longer.

And that about sums up the day. Nothing really happened. Kevin did get into the chair, but we didn't leave his room because a couple of guys were brought over from downrange and we needed to stay out of the hallways today. We definitely don't want to 'catch' any of those bugs again. We need to keep all that afghan/iraq bacteria away from us.

And to end tonight's post - I just want to say that I may not (hold your breath...) post tomorrow night. Yes, I probably will, but I may not. My daughter and I (and about 20 or so other wounded warriors and their family members) are actually going to see Tom Petty in concert. The wonderful thing about this place is that the wounded warriors can pretty much go anywhere in San Antonio for free. To just about any event. This town is so wonderful to its military personnel! There are roughly 15 events a week that a bus will come pick you up and take you to. There are also at least 3 meals a week supplied to the whole hotel by different restaurants - from italian to chinese to pizza and the list goes on - it's always different every week. Who knows...maybe this is normal for military hospital areas, but it still impresses me!

Anyway, I have never went to any of the events - none! It's not really why I'm here, ya know? But my caseworker is banishing me from the hospital tomorrow night, lol, just to make me go and do something other than be here. At this point, I will go. But I am not sure if my guilt and feelings of abandonment will allow me to have to a good time. But I will try - I promise. So just in case - don't panic. I honestly probably will still write when I get home, but if it's too late, I just may not.

BTW, just a little tidbit of information - did you know that more coma patients wake up to Tom Petty music than from any other band? I have no idea where I heard this information from, but they say it's true...

17 comments:

Holee said...

Kudo's to the caseworker!

Trained nurses who work in full care units are rotated because it's just to much for anyone's emotional system to not get a break. I'm glad someone is looking after Leslie! Go, enjoy and remember, Kevin would want his Mom to take a break too!

blsnow said...

There's no better way to take a break than to go see TOM PETTY! You'll love it. It's amazing. Go enjoy yourself.

Unknown said...

Les, glad to hear things are going okay. Hope you hear from Tampa soon and keep pushing for the rehab to start there in TX. I sincerely hope you have a great time at the the concert. I'm jealous! I've always wanted to see Tom Petty and never got the chance so enjoy it for me too. :) Hope you all have a great time. The prayers and thoughts are continuing everyday here in PA. Love you all!
Diana

Anonymous said...

Leslie, Tom Petty's my fave. I've seen him about 14 times and I think Zach has too. He crosses the age gape. May be a good music for Kevin too, not too much head banging. Enjoy!!!! I'm sure you and Breezy deserve it. We were shopping at the mall and were in Pac Sun and of couse I had memories of Kevin. Their stock has probably gone down without him shopping there. Just wait, someday soon he'll be needing new t-shirts and Etnies or Vans. Take care. Love, Sharon, Zach, & Haleigh

Lisa said...

We saw Petty in Pittsburgh back in June. He puts on a great show. Go relax and some fun

Anonymous said...

I am so glad they are basically forcing you to go see the concert. You have to take a break for yourself and Breezy does too. It sounds like Kevin is making amazing progress, so why not go out and celebrate a little. Remember, each minor step he takes is a huge accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

Tommmmm Petyyyy!!!!!!
Wooooo Hoooooo!!! Rock on sister!
I can't think of any better way to spend an evening. I was thinking about you guys this year when we were at the Tom Petty concert. I almost called you and Moe that night from the concert. Hope you had fun.
Tracy Snow

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
You need to take a break and take care of yourself too! Remember what I told you.Hopefully you'll be in Florida soon.Miss you guys,Luv ya Karen

Catherine said...

Have fun at the concert, you need to take a break for a change! xox.

Vicki Chrisman said...

OH.. I SO hope you went!!! YOU need to get out and do things for you own metal health. You are going to completely burn yourself out girl. Go.. try to have a little time away to re-fuel.
Guilty??? Are you kidding?
You will be no good to kevin if you are burnt out.. continuing at this rate. I dont know how you are doing it.
I pray you went!

tbehr1018 said...

Good for You!! Enjoy the night! Then you will be refreshed to start again tomorrow. No Regrets or Guilt.
Theresa

Anonymous said...

ENJOY!!!..You have no reason to feel guilt..it is so obvious how very much you love your kids and how dedicated you are to them. Bring back to Kevin some wonderful happy stories of your evening..Stay strong and keep fighting for him. As always we continue to pray for all three of you..Keep fighting Kevin, I know you are in there!

Lil Tinker said...

Leslie~

I am sorry you haven't heard from Tampa yet. Thank you for the sacrifice you made by giving your son. My husband served 8 tours in the sand and while he wasn't injured, I know your loss as I watched it on my fellow spouses when their loved one didn't come home. I have been reading your blog for awhile now...I don't remember who told me about it...but know that there are hundreds praying for Kevin and your family. If there is anything you need from us that we can help you with, please let me know. I have strong shoulders and I am resourceful...all military wives are!

email is irishtimebomb@yahoo.com

Warm regards
Liz

Anonymous said...

Yay, Leslie! It's Wednesday morning and I see that you didn't post last night. You go, girl! Hope you had a great time at the concert and felt like your old self for even just a few minutes! As alway, you, Kevin and Breezy are in my prayers!

Liz L. - a Soldiers' Angel from Atlanta

Kris said...

Hey there Leslie, Breezy & Kevin!

Well since you didn't post, that must mean you went to the concert, and I hope that you all had an AWESOME time!!! I saw TP 2 years ago and he was fabulous! I hope that you were able to put away some of your guilty feelings for a few hours and were able to enjoy yourself. It must be so hard to do, but I'd imagine very necessary to maintain any sort of sanity level.

Anyway I was just stopping by to let you all know that each and every day you are in my thoughts and my prayers. And that you always will be. Hoping that you hear from Tampa. Like yesterday. Good grief!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you all. And from the transport side, I can tell you that nothing happens..nothing happens...and the next thing you know you have to be in the air in an hour. Hopefully you will get to Tampa soon and start the next part of your journey.

Have a great time tonight!!

~Donna

Anonymous said...

Way to go CASEWORKER!!!! You need a little time with NO quilt honey. I hope that you had a really great time and I bet that Kevin will sleep and rest so well because he will know that his MOM is having a little much deserved fun. Take care and remember I LOVE YA. Pam