Sunday, August 31, 2008

Day 92 - Aug 31, 2008

It is just amazing how much progress Kevin has made in just the last two days. The doctors are impressed and so am I! And get this - we haven't even started rehab at all yet! (it is a holiday weekend) But anyway, Kevin is always aware of what's going on around him now. Always! I have seen no moments where he just stares at the ceiling and his eyes never seem to be confused. He always looks at you when you talk and if you ask him to do something, he usually does it. When we go near him with his eye meds he is now cooperative and immediately rolls his eyes upwards. He is also making all kinds of noises and when you ask a question, it seems like he tries to respond (but you can't understand what the noises he is making mean). So all in all - I think this place is going to be awesome. And I can only guess that the reason he is doing so well here is because the nurses sit and talk to him if we leave the room. He has someone sit in his room the whole time we are not in there and they just tell them all about themselves and their family and whatever else they can think of. And although I loved the hospital and staff in Texas, very few nurses did that. What a difference.

I did get to go see his new room today. He is in a temporary room until all his tests are finished to make sure he is stable enough to progress to the rehab floor. They are saying Tuesday he will be moved, due to the holiday. Anyway, it's small, but it will work. I like the fact that they have flat panel TVs that come down right in front of your face over the bed for the patients to be able to see it if they have vision problems. They are very aware of everything here. I just can't wait to see what happens. They are expecting to remove his trach and possibly his catheter this week and will try to get his feeding tube out asap as well. I can't wait for that! I just can't imagine not eating for 3 months!

Speaking of eating - I made over medium eggs for us tonight! Yep - I cooked!! It was like heaven! And one of the nurses took me to the grocery store (and the cell phone store) today so you had to know that I bought a small chicken and the stuff to make stuffing, mashed potatoes and garlic green beans! It's all on the menu for tomorrow - YAY!!

Now to answer some questions:

Lisa - I did get the red envelope. Thanks! And we can't have mail sent to the place where we are staying so I have to go get a PO box. I will let you know what it is asap. And I will post Kevin's here as well once we get him to his permanent room.

Michelle - his trach has been capped for weeks now, but I learned the other day that nearly 85% of the left side of the brain was destroyed. The speech section is typically located on the left side, which is why he doesn't talk yet. If the brain rewires, he may be able to someday (maybe soon, huh?).

Linda - if it's not too late, Kevin would probably love to be in the calender. You can get my email from work if you still need it.

Jim (173rd) - I am so glad you posted as all my voicemails were deleted when I got a new phone today! I will call you tomorrow (or you can call me if you want).

If I missed anything - please let me know. I am trying to get all caught up, but my inbox is just so huge!

Well, bedtime for me. Have a good night, everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful news. It's almost like Kevin has just been handed a new lease on life. YAY !!!

Enjoy your dinner tomorrow. I can just feel the happiness in you now. Things are really looking up for Kevin.

Try and get some sleep. Tomorrow will be another terrific day. Prayers and a great Mama and sister are letting us watch a miracle happen with each word you share with us about Kevin. Hooray..

Night night..sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite. ; )

God Bless you.

Holee said...

It sounds great! Knowing that Kevin is not alone when you are not there might allow you to relax a little. Glad to hear you will be enjoying a nice dinner tomorrow.

Speaking of food, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question-
Do you mix the raspberry into the batter or just put a doplet of raspberry jelly on the cookie? Since you talked about this cookie, I have not been able to forget it!

If Tampa is only half as good as the things I've been reading you will have time to maybe do some scrapbooking since Kevin will be busy learning & healing.That just sounds so good...learning...and each one of us will get to see his progress because you are willing to share it with us.

The Moving Wall is in Franklin this weekend (photo's on my blog). I cried, not only for those lost back then but for Kevin and those coming home now. I think America has learned a lesson about how to treat and care for it's returning soldiers. I think we all want to give Kevin a hug just for being the man that he is.

Unknown said...

Les, glad to hear things are looking up. And it's so nice knowing someone is with Kevin even when you're not there. I'm so happy that he is doing well. Can't wait to read your blog this coming week to see how he progresses. Being where you all are now and seeing Kevin's progress thus far is proof for you that keeping your strength has worked for not only Kevin but for you too. Keep that strength. Praying for you all. Enjoy your dinner and think of me as you eat the stuffing. It's been a long time since I had that :) Love you all!
Diana

Anonymous said...

whoohooo thanks for the wonderful n
Keep working Kevin...everyone is pulling for you!

Vicki Cheek
173rd Mom

Unknown said...

Leslie, I have faithfully been reading your updates on your son's progress and I am delighted to read your latest post! Hopefully, the Rehab Hospital will be just what Kevin needs! He sure has a terrific Mom!

I will keep your family in my prayers and will continue to follow Kevin's progress. Thank you to your entire family for your service to our Country!

Pat F.

Unknown said...

Leslie, I have faithfully been reading your updates on your son's progress and I am delighted to read your latest post! Hopefully, the Rehab Hospital will be just what Kevin needs! He sure has a terrific Mom!

I will keep your family in my prayers and will continue to follow Kevin's progress. Thank you to your entire family for your service to our Country!

Pat F.

Anonymous said...

Such positive news!!..it sounds like you have nurses there who really care..how nice that one took you to the cell phone place. I hope it eases your mind somewhat that there is someone with Kevin when you are not there. Hope you enjoyed your dinner..there is nothing like your own home cooking, is there?..Keep strong, try to rest and keep fighting. You are Kevin's strength. Fight hard Kevin. We are all so proud of you and so very thankful for you..take care and as always we continue to pray for all three of you.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing news like this and I'll be praying for more! The nurses sound very caring which is so important. Has Breezy gotten there yet? I hope her flight wasn't delayed from hurricane Gustav.